More about Reading Plus®
Reading Plus® is a comprehensive, evidence based software solution for reading assessment and improvement for students reading on levels 1 through college/adult.
It is the result of over 75 years of research and development in the area of reading improvement technology. Reading Plus® addresses all of the elements of reading cited by the National Reading Panel including: Phonemic Awareness, Phonics, Vocabulary, Comprehension and most importantly, Fluency in Silent Reading.
Additionally, Reading Plus® provides training in Attention and Concentration, Visual Functioning and Perceptual skills, subliminal activities (3-5 functions per second) that cannot be directed by a teacher nor controlled by students. Computerized training techniques are the only direct and effective means of developing and improving these processes.
Reading Plus® is typically used 2-3 times per week for 30-45 minute sessions for a total of approximately 135 minutes per week for a four month period. Students in greater need may engage in Reading Plus® for more sessions per week.
Using advanced tools such as the Visagraph eye-movement sensor Reading Plus® assesses a students basic reading skills and recommends curriculum based upon the students skills and abilities.
Reading Plus® installs on a server on your schools network and is deployed with a web-based interface that simplifies installation on all of your Mac and PC workstations. Reading Plus® is a product of Taylor Associates, an educational software developer in Huntington Station, NY
Features of Reading Plus®
- Age-appropriate instructional content
- Students learn reading skills in sequence
- Varied forms of reading content involving previewing strategies and the development of multiple comprehension skills
- Detailed management and reporting
- Can be phased into classrooms, labs or site-wide
Benefits of Reading Plus®
- Research-based assessment and instruction designed to develop the basic visual/functional perceptual processing skills needed for fluency in reading
- Improvement of automaticity and effortless vocabulary/word recognition skills
- Multi-level as well as multi-modal instructional approaches
- Intensive reading instruction, practice and training designed to develop reading text fluently with good comprehension
Reading Plus® provides the following Assessment capabilities:
- RPA, Reading Placement Appraisal provides the independent (functional) reading level including vocabulary, reading rate and comprehension level.
- VISAGRAPH, profiles the the students’ FRP (Fundamental Reading Process) which is how the print is seen and visually processed.
Reading Plus® provides the following Instructional components:
- PAVE, develops visual/functional efficiency and perceptual accuracy — basic requisites for fluent silent reading and all learning and vocational needs.
- WORD MEMORY, develops automaticity in word recognition and visual/functional proficiency–basic prerequisites for the development of reading fluency. (1-3)
- GUIDED READING, develops fluency (efficiency) in the most basic reading processes resulting in ease and comfort, adequate reading rates and improved comprehension.(1-12)
- CLOZE-PLUS, develops comprehension skills and vocabulary through structured cloze and contextual analysis strategies.(1-8)
- COMP POWER, improves comprehension and study skill strategies through preview skimming and comprehensive reading practice. (1-12)
- READING AROUND WORDS, expands word knowledge through structured contextual analysis strategies. (1-8)
Unique to Reading Plus®, the Visagraph is a diagnostic instrument that records a students eye movements while reading.
In an easy-to-use assessment test students read a prepared passage and then answer questions to determine comprehension. The Visagraph tracks the students eye movements and correlates these to the text being read. The result is a unique assessment of the students fundamental reading ability, along with a prescription for treatment. Please click here to learn more about the Visagraph and its use in the WIN 2000 System.